Friday, February 26, 2010

I really owe Rose Fox a nice dinner out...

Rose Fox is the genre fiction editor at Publisher's Weekly and the author of the Genreville blog. Last year, PW gave Monstrous Affections a starred review. Then Rose put it in the bottom end of her top ten sf/f/h books for 2009.

And now, she's done it again. In her Feb. 23 blog entry, as she was wondering why there weren't more out-of-country nominations for the Bram Stoker Award this year, she had this to say:

Meanwhile, my first thought when I looked at the Stoker ballot was “Where are the non-Americans?”. Not that there are so many on the Nebula ballot–China MiĆ©ville might be the only one, actually–but while plenty of top-notch SF/F was published in the U.S., there is no question in my mind that the best horror of 2009 was published by ChiZine Publications in Canada and HarperCollins’s new Angry Robot imprint in the U.K. Slights should absolutely be on that ballot, and Nekropolis, and Monstrous Affections or at least a couple of stories from it, and probably a selection or two from Horror Story and Other Horror Stories (which I haven’t read, but have heard very good things about).
For the record: it is okay that I didn't end up on the Stoker ballot. I have a Bram Stoker Award already, for mine and Edo Van Belkom's short story Rat Food. I received a very nice Black Quill Award, for Monstrous Affections, just the other week. People are buying and reading Monstrous Affections, so ChiZine is making a profit on the money they invested in me, and I am too.

And Stoker or no, I'm stoked that Rose thinks my book deserves one.

Read the whole thing right here.

5 comments:

Rose Fox said...

You don't owe me a thing! I call 'em like I see 'em, is all.

Horror is profoundly cultural. Over a couple of decades of reading a great many books, I've developed something of an immunity to American and British horror. I still can't really describe what exactly you (and other Canadian horror authors) do differently, but it is different, and it hits me in different ways. As a rather cynical and jaded reader, I really appreciate and value that.

I get the sense that you're taking chances within your own milieu as well as waking up those of us who are outside of it, and that's awesome. It's so easy to feel that everything's been done in horror, and so easy to be lazy; we know where the basic fear-triggers are and how to push them, and we know people will buy those same stories again and again. I don't think all your leaps are fully successful, but when you're outside of your own comfort zone, you almost can't help but take the reader outside of theirs, and that's fundamental to the experience of the eerie, the surreal, and the disturbing.

I'm very glad your book is doing well. Keep doing whatever it is that you're doing. *grin*

David Nickle said...

Okay, so no dinner. I reserve the right to say thanks for calling 'em like you see 'em when it comes to the things I'm trying to do, though.

And I'm also glad you're seeing and enjoying the unique queasiness that we Canadians like to think we exude.

Based on that, I suspect Gemma Files' first novel A Book of Tongues (also from ChiZine) will be a real treat for you when it comes out this spring.

Rose Fox said...

I just got in ARCs of her book and am very much looking forward to it! It looks like exactly the sort of "Hang on, WTF am I reading?!" book that I greatly enjoy.

MattMooreWrites said...

Rose: If you're looking for great Canadian horror, look at Tesseracts Thirteen (edited by Nancy Kilpatrick and David Morrell). Published by Edge last year, it's an anthology of horror stories by Canadian writers, including Dave (and me).

Rose Fox said...

Thanks for the reminder, Matt; I have it at home in one of my many to-read piles.